Czech Dreams 2024
If you head to Moravský Krumlov from Ivančice, our charming town will spread out before you on the left-hand side of the road as it lies in the Oslavanský Trough and among the meanders of the Rokytná River. The town of Moravský Krumlov is situated thirty kilometres from Brno and forty kilometres from the Austrian border. It currently has approximately six thousand inhabitants.
The first mention of Moravský Krumlov dates from the start of the 11th century. However, abundant archaeological findings have dated the settlement of the site back to prehistory. The legendary promotion of the settlement to a town in 1260 by Premysl Otakar II has not yet been confirmed. The castle was rebuilt as a renaissance seat under the Lords of Lipá in the 16th century by the Italian architect Leonardo Gara de Bisono and its storeyed arcade courtyard is one of the jewels of the transalpine renaissance. The origins of the town’s name can apparently be found in the German word “krumm = twisted” due to the meanders of the Rokytná Rover. The town was shortly called Liechtenstein when under the rule of the House of Liechtenstein and this then changed to Cromau and finally to Mährisch Kromau – Moravský Krumlov, in order to distinguish it from the Krumlov in Bohemia. The historical coat of arms of the town bears witness to the main ruling houses in Krumlov, i.e. the House of Lipá, the House of Kravaře and the House of Liechtenstein.
Moravský Krumlov was a predominantly Czech town from the 15th century, even though it was ruled by a German administration until the end of the 19th century. Despite this, the town fell to German annexation in 1938 and it was incorporated into the Third Reich. On 7th-8th May 1945, Moravský Krumlov was pointlessly bombarded by the Russian Army. 383 houses (out of 502) were hit. The château, the church and two historical houses remained undamaged. The post-war reconstruction of the town lasted until 1960.
Significant personalities from Czech history who had associations with Moravský Krumlov include the Hussite commander Bohuslav of Švamberk, while the famous doctor Theophrastus Bombastus of Hohenheim (known as Paracelsus) was active here in 1537 as the personal physician of Jan III of Lipá. The bishop of the Unitas Fratrum, Jan Blahoslav, died in Moravský Krumlov during a visitation here. The education of Czechs in the town is associated with the school fellowship and its significant personality, Dr. Mořic Odstrčil. In 1887, he and his wife established a Czech single-class school in the town.
Of the town’s monuments, the oldest preserved monument is the so-called Princely House dating from the 13th century, which is located on the town square. Nowadays, it is home to a museum and a gallery. The most significant sacral buildings include the All Saints’ parish church, the monastery church of Saint Bartholomew with the monastery, which nowadays houses the municipal authority, and the Church of Saint Lawrence in Moravský Krumlov-Rakšice. All of the buildings were originally gothic and have undergone baroque renovations. The chapel dating from 1697, which is consecrated to Saint Florian, also comes from the baroque period. The Jewish cemetery is a monument of international significance.
The town continues its old cultural traditions, while at the same time also establishing new ones. The Bezgest amateur theatre company is very active, while the performances of choirs and the abundant exhibiting activities of the Gallery in the Princely House have become traditions. Visitors can enjoy the May fair associated with the Florian pilgrimage every year. The new traditions include the May Krumlov celebrations of music, dance and song, the Musical Celebrations held in cooperation with the Arts Primary School and the Fairy Tale Christmas held in December.
Moravský Krumlov also has beautiful environs. A teaching trail with twelve stations leads through the “Krumlovsko-rokytenské slepence” Nature Reserve. Nearby Řeznovice is home to a Romanesque church dating from the 11th century, while the ruins of the Templštejn castle are located near Jamolice. The entire region is a wine-growing area. Accommodation and catering are of a good standard. As such, we have much to offer our visitors.
This small town with its activities and environs has become a natural centre for the northern part of the Znojmo Region from an administrative point of view (a municipality with extended jurisdiction), but also from the point of view of education (five schools with almost two thousand pupils and students!), culture, industry, commerce and sport.